Monday, May 24, 2010

Alex does Milano..


Crap, I totally forgot about this blog.

Anyways I am now in Milan for three months! I am here living with a family as an English tutor, but I am basically just a bonified manny which isn’t a bad thing. They live in a very nice house just outside of Milan and right next to a subway stop so it takes 20 minutes to get downtown. I have my own room and bathroom in the basement, so I don’t have to worry about disturbing anybody. I also get a bike, a phone and occasionally get to drive the Mercedes. Not to shabby eh? Also plenty of espresso, Parmigiano reggiano, home cooked Italian food, wine and gelato. What else could I possibly need? Well actually wifi within the house would be a lovely thing… but Ill just have to content myself with sitting on the sun soaked terrace and steal one of the neighbors signal.

The two eldest daughters are 17 and 19, so I will be able to infiltrate their circles and hopefully find some yummy Italian within. Mmmmm. The parents went to the seaside house in Arenzano (they also have vacation homes in Cannes, Sardinia and Switzerland!) with Nico, the adorable 5 year old I take care of, so I stayed in Milan with Ludo and Isotta. From what I can gather these two like to party… I am crossing my fingers that it isn’t all talk!

On Satuday I went to Milan alone to do touristy things, such as the Duomo. What impressed me the most was the fact that you could actually go on the roof of the 700 year old cathedral! Not only was the view amazing, but getting up close and personal with all the architectural detail does not happen often! I then spent the rest of my day lounging in a park enjoying the.. ahem.. sights ;)

On my way back home I missed my bus, and since it was a saturday I had to wait an hour for the next one, but this guy that I had seen on the bus in the morning was waiting next to me rolling a huge spliff. Of course he happened to share it with me and that is how I made my first friend lol. At home, the girls and I prepared an elaborate Aperitivo in lieu of going out for dinner.Think beef carpaccio with lemon and parmesan (the best I ever had), Bresaola (dry cured beef) with fresh ricotta and of course, champagne. And surprise surprise.. the girls also seem to enjoy a little Moroccan gum if you know what I mean. Afterwards, we drove into Milano to witness the crazyness that resulted after Inter Milan won the championships. Think the Habs winning the Stanley cup, it was ridiculous! We went to San Genoa, which I guess can be compared to the Plateau. It has adorable little canals and is packed with restaurants and bars. I have to say, Italians know how to mix a strong drink!

On sunday, we all nursed our hangovers by sleeping until 1 then spent the entire afternoon tanning. It was great. Then we went to meet up with their dad and his surgically enhanced fiancé at the Palazzo Reale to see an exhibit on Egon Schiele and other Viennese Secession artists. It was one of the best art exhibits I have ever seen, and I have been to many a museum in my day. Not only was the subject interesting, but the exhibit provided all the information you could possibly want to know, aka historical context, the artist's eccentricities and symbolic interpretation.

We had dinner at Obika, a Mozzarella Bar on the 7th floor of a department store that could be described as Holt Renfrew on crack. I only walked across the first floor but EVERY male employee looks like Casanova, I don't understand why they don't put this as a tourist destination in itself! We ate on the terrace, which is the most fabulous terrace you can imagine. Huge, full of BEAUTIFUL people, and literally across from the Duomo. I had actually seen it on Saturday and wished I could go there!

I will try to update this at least once a week.. expect me to talk about the AMAZING style here and of course, the yummy italians :)

The GBF.

No comments:

Post a Comment